This whole ’11 random things’ survey has been going around the blog world for a few weeks now. Meghann over at Meals and Miles posted about it yesterday. She asked that all her readers answer the 11 questions, so I thought I would join in the fun. So here’s how this works:
- Post these rules (done!)
- You must post 11 random things about yourself
- Answer the questions set for you by the person who tagged you
- Create 11 new questions for the people you tag to answer
- Select 11 peeps and tag them on twitter, facebook, or on their blog.
Here are the 11 random things about me.
1. My name was almost Siobhan. When my mom was pregnant with me, my dad, whose family is all 100% Irish, decided that he wanted to name his daughter a traditional Irish name. When my mom found out how it’s spelled, she was not having it. She knew her daughter would be ridiculed for years for her weird name, so she decided on her pick – Sarah. Clearly my dad lost that battle.
2. I’m a natural blonde, but I dyed my hair brunette for 3 years. Worst decision I ever made.
3. The right and left sides of my face are not symmetrical. When I smile, my eyes are different sizes (left bigger than my right), my eyebrows lift to different heights (left higher than right), and my mouth is kinda crooked. I also have a dimple on my right cheek but not my left. This is why I tend to favor the right side of my face in pictures. You can kinda see it below. Maybe I’m just crazy and am the only one who sees this.
4. I knew how to ride a horse before I knew how to ride a bike.
5. I am the biggest horse nerd alive. I could tell you more facts about horses and horse related things than you’d ever want to know. I even wrote a final paper for my 16th Century British Lit class in college all about thrush remedies for horses during the 16th Century. Horse dork.
6. I am deathly afraid of the alien ET. I can’t watch the movie or even look at pictures of him. I am convinced that I must have had some sort of traumatic experience watching it when I was a kid. To this day, I still have nightmares every once in a while about it. My mom thinks I should talk to someone about it haha.
7. I live and drive in Boston, one of the worst cities for driving and parking, and I don’t parallel park. The last time I did it was during my driver’s test when I was 16 years old. I am the worst at it – I even failed my driver’s test the first time because of it.
8. I was so drunk the first time I met Bernie I didn’t know what he looked like before our first date together. I remembered that he was blonde, tall, and muscular, but if you asked me to describe his facial features or asked what color his eyes were I couldn’t do it. When we went on the date, I just kept thinking to myself, “Please let this be Bernie in the car that I’m getting in right now. Please don’t let him be a random stranger.” Clearly it all worked out in the end. To this day, he still thinks it’s the funniest thing ever.I think he might be a little embarrassed of me sometimes…
9. I didn’t eat red meat for 5 years. We stopped eating it in my house growing up after my dad read Fast Food Nation. I then read it and joined the movement with him. It was only after dating Bernie did I introduce it back into my diet. When I do eat it, I try to make sure it’s free range grass-fed beef.
10. I once rode my horse Ace every single day for an entire year. 365 days. Sleet, snow, ice, rain, heat, etc. That was the year we bought him and the year I had to train him for competing. The next year we ended up being overall Champion horse and rider for our division for the entire show season. Hard work pays off!
11. The most single expensive thing I’ve ever bought for myself was my $1,400 saddle. It has a 100 year warranty.
Now for Meghann’s questions:
1. If you could live anywhere in the world for just a year – where would you live?
Definitely Italy. After I visited last summer, I never wanted to leave. The people are kind and welcoming, the culture is so laid back, and the food is to die for. I would be 20 pounds heavier but that’s okay.
2. What were you like in high school?
I was definitely much more reserved and shy in high school when I started. I was very self-conscious and didn’t like myself very much. I was in a really bad relationship that was toxic and juvenile. It wasn’t until I discovered the theatre group at my school and got really into acting that I came into my own. I was confident and learned more about myself than I ever could have without it. I had a lot of guy friends, but that’s how I liked it. I was in all accelerated classes and worked really hard to get good grades while balancing horseback riding and extracurricular activities.
3. How old were you when you had your first kiss?
14 maybe? Clearly it wasn’t very memorable.
4. What is your go-to coffee or tea order?
I’m not a coffee snob so just regular with cream and 1 splenda is fine with me. If I go to Starbucks and splurge, I love non-fat cappuccinos.
5. How many states have you lived in?
Just two. I lived in the same house in New York from the time I was in utero until I left for college at 18. I’ve lived in Massachusetts full time since 2006.
6. When was the last time you told someone you loved them?
Yesterday – to Bernie
7. What is your favorite color?
Either purple or blue.
8. Favorite cartoon character?
I’m going to have to say Chuckie from the Rugrats. Old school Nickelodeon!
9. What were you doing a year ago today?
A year ago today I was at work (same place I work now). I was in my last semester of college and working 3 days a week while still going to school full time. I was super stressed out and doing a lot of this during my nights:
10. What do you want to be when you grow up?
Honestly, I really don’t know. I know I want to be a good mom and a good wife. I know I want a job that lets me write in some form. As long as it’s a job that I love and I’m happy with, that’s all I can ask for.
11. Today is going to be a great day because…
Instead of tagging other bloggers, I’m going to tag all of you, readers. Answer any or all of the questions below. I want to learn a little more about you!
- What was your favorite subject in school?
- What is your biggest fear?
- What is the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you?
- What is the best thing that’s ever happened to you?
- What’s your favorite sport to watch? Team?
- What were you like when you were in high school?
- Where is the coolest place you’ve ever traveled?
- Where is the weirdest place you’ve ever traveled?
- If you could do college all over again, what would you change?
- Who is your hero and why?
- What was your college experience like?