Change of Plans

by Sarah on May 21, 2012 · 10 comments

in Boston,Running

Hello friends! Another week begins again. As you may have read on Friday, I was planning on running the Harpoon 5 Miler this past weekend. I was looking forward to enjoying the race, some free beer, and giving you guys a great race recap. Unfortunately, my race never happened.

I had originally signed up for the race with my roommate Steph. We were excited to be able to run a fun race together, drink some beer, and have a fun post-race day at Harpoon. With the situation going on with her boyfriend and his upcoming open heart surgery, she realized she was going to be out of town for the race. I have no problem running a race by myself (I’ve been doing it for years) but I didn’t want to go to such a fun, festive race if I was going to be by myself. No one wants to spend their two free drink tickets drinking alone. After trying to convince Bernie to go with me, it just wasn’t happening. The night before the race I didn’t get a great night of sleep, and after waking up on Sunday morning, I decided to not go through with it. I was super psyched to have a fun and festive race, and I knew that wasn’t happening if I went it alone. I know it’s stupid and any other runner would think my choice was stupid. Honestly, it bugs me that I ate the $45 entry fee, but the race was supporting a good cause (a Boston area animal shelter) so I don’t quite feel as bad. I would have loved to race but I knew I wouldn’t fully enjoy it.

Either way, I had to run 5 miles as part of my 10k training, so I went out and ended up running 5.5 miles around my neighborhood. I ran around the Chestnut Hill Reservoir – my favorite area – and suddenly felt a little bit more at peace with my choice. I was tired, my run was slow, and it was HOT outside. I was just not in the mental space to race. It’s been a tough week personally and my emotional state was not in the place to try and go to a festive race alone.

The reservoir was beautiful yesterday. All the animals were out and enjoying the weather as well. I saw some mama geese and their babies, a beaver, and tons of turtles sunning themselves.

I spent the rest of my Sunday having brunch with Bernie, going grocery shopping, hanging out with my friend Lauren, and making chili for Sunday dinner. I’m looking forward to a new week and a fresh mindset.

Readers: Have you ever backed out of a race before? Do you ever feel like you’re not in the emotional state to race/run? How do you deal with a tough week?

1 Tracy May 21, 2012 at 9:04 am

Turtles?? I must check these out the next time I am down! I bailed on a five mile race in Cambridge just because I had to do it alone and it was on early on a Sunday. Felt awful but not soo bad because the money went to charity.
Tracy recently posted..11 miles is BananasMy Profile

2 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City May 21, 2012 at 11:10 am

I can understand your decision. You need to be in the right frame of mind to run a race and if you’re not going to enjoy it, there really isn’t a point. Plus, sometimes everyone needs a solo slower recovery run to just sort through their thoughts. Those runs are so good for the soul!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Monday ThingsMy Profile

3 blondebostonian May 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm

That’s exactly what I ended up doing on my own run that morning. I listened to a podcast on my iPhone and just zoned. Definitely much needed.

4 Paige @ Running Around Normal May 21, 2012 at 11:48 am

I baked out of a 5k when it was cold and rainy and gross! Plus, I had a bad night the night before. I just skipped it :)
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Capping Off the Weekend RightMy Profile

5 blondebostonian May 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm

ugh yuck. I hate races in the rain.

6 Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition May 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I’m impressed that you listened to how you were feeling and acted on it! It’s so important but hard to do that
Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition recently posted..25 Tips for a better lifeMy Profile

7 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 21, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I’ve just started to get into running & I’ve never done a race, but it sounds like you made the right choice!

Rough weeks usually call for extra cuddle time with my pug!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Energizing FoodsMy Profile

8 blondebostonian May 21, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Aww <3 pug hugs!

9 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries May 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I feel like you have to be in the right mindset before doing a run. I think you made the right decision for you at the time, which is the most important thing!
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Win Or Lose, We Still BoozeMy Profile

10 Devon June 1, 2012 at 11:40 am

Yes…first race I signed up for! Unfortunately, my friend also couldn’t make it and it being my first race I didn’t really want to go alone. The money went towards a charity so I didn’t feel that bad.

Last year when I was running 5-6 miles with ease I would go on long, slow runs. Usually I run with fast paced music and really push myself, but once I got good at running long distances I was able to put on some relaxing music and just get lost in the methodical movement of running. I always chose to run my long, slow routes in nice scenery. It really helped with sorting out my thoughts. I like to call it ‘meditative running.’
Devon recently posted..Things I Love, Right NowMy Profile