WIAW #13: BBQ for Lunch {What I Ate Wednesday}

by Sarah on June 20, 2012 · 11 comments

in Food,WIAW

Hello everyone and happy Wednesday, AND the first day of Summer! It’s a hot one today in Boston. It’s looking like the temperature is going to reach upwards into the 90′s today. It’s days like today that make me thankful I work in an office with AC!

I am excited that it’s finally officially summertime. This summer is already looking like it’s going to be a good one! Two things that I’m really looking forward to this summer is the Healthy Living Summit in August and my big move to live with Bernie. Two very exciting things! There are many more things I’d like to do this summer including heading to the beach more often (we didn’t make it ONCE last summer, it was a wash-out of a summer), going antiquing, visiting family and friends, and maybe a trip to Maine. So many activities!

On to today’s WIAW post. As always, if you’d like to see other WIAW posts from other bloggers, head over to Peas and Crayons. Thanks for hosting, Jenn!

Breakfast

I was craving yogurt this morning, which of course, isn’t unusual. In this mix: plain Chobani mixed with a tb. crunchy WF almond butter, cut up strawberries, and Love Grown granola. Yum!

Lunch

Free lunches are pretty common at work. If we have a meeting that occurs during lunch or are given lunch as a thank-you, it often involves 1 of 2 things: pizza or salads/sandwiches. Today, however, was different. VERY different. Our boss ordered us Red Bones BBQ as part of a thank-you lunch for our 3-day meeting we had last week. I’ve talked about my love for Red Bones before, so needless to say I was pumped. Bernie was VERY jealous. Sorry Bernie. My plate included some pulled chicken, some pulled pork on a bun, mac&cheese, coleslaw, beans, and cornbread. YUM!

Dinner

As good as the BBQ was, I felt full for at least two hours after lunch was over. I’m not used to eating that much food in the middle of the day, and I felt so sluggish for a little while afterward. After work, I did some interval repeats on the treadmill and worked up a nice sweat. When I got home, I knew that what I was planning on making wasn’t happening. I wasn’t very hungry, so I made a smoothie and had some roasted sweet potato on the side. In my smoothie: 1 peach, half a banana, some frozen strawberries, ice, almond milk, and vanilla protein powder. It was the perfect amount of food.

Readers: Does your office ever offer free lunches? Is there a healthy option? Do you ever change a planned meal because your appetite wasn’t there? What are your plans for the summer?

1 chelcie @ chelcie's food files June 20, 2012 at 9:05 am

mt brother works for the red bones catering department! i love red bones
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Food from WorkMy Profile

2 blondebostonian June 20, 2012 at 1:03 pm

How cool! I love Red Bones!

3 Amy@macncheesenpeas June 20, 2012 at 10:39 am

Yum!! I love Red Bones too! What a nice boss you have.
Amy@macncheesenpeas recently posted..June Date: Golfing AdventuresMy Profile

4 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City June 20, 2012 at 11:09 am

I love BBQ! Even though I don’t eat meat, I looove the sides!

How did you roast your sweet potato? It looks so good!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..The Swim That Didn’t Happen & Triceratops Tri Packet PickupMy Profile

5 blondebostonian June 20, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I did this one at 375 for 20 minutes. I usually toss them in olive oil in a bowl before adding them to the cookie sheet, but this time I tried putting the pieces on the sheet, and then drizzling them with olive oil and then mixing it all together on the sheet itself. I think it made them a bit crispier than normal.

6 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake June 20, 2012 at 11:39 am

That lunch looks really good! Looks like you got a nice mix of all the options!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..My Fitness Bucket ListMy Profile

7 MassachusEATS June 20, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Yum, I love BBQ! I haven’t been to Red Bones yet but its on my radar. We tried Firefly’s (in Framingham) the other day and it was really good! Stay cool today :)
MassachusEATS recently posted..WIAW #20 and Make It: Unbelievable ChickenMy Profile

8 blondebostonian June 20, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Oh nice! I’ll have to look into Firefly’s. Thanks for the tip. You too – it’s a scorcher!

9 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries June 20, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I haven’t had BBQ in so long, and I’ve never tried Red Bones! I guess I’ll have to now that I live in Boston :)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..A Day In The Life Of..My Profile

10 Lindsay @ Conscious Cravings June 20, 2012 at 9:09 pm

MMMM BBQ. I wish I could remember the name of this BBQ place that I went to once in Boston. Well it was more outside the city, but the guy I was dating at the time knew how much I loved BBQ since I’m from TX so he drove me there. IT WAS DELICIOUS. I will have to find out the name for you lol
Lindsay @ Conscious Cravings recently posted..WIAW on Your Healing DietMy Profile

11 Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 20, 2012 at 11:57 pm

what a delicious day of eats! that breakfast looks divine! yum!
Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy recently posted..GF Cauliflower Pancakes w/ Kale Pesto & 6 Pounds of Nuts!My Profile