WIAW #17: Sick Day {What I Ate Wednesday}

by Sarah on July 25, 2012 · 18 comments

in Food,WIAW

Hey friends! A couple housekeeping things before we get started with WIAW.

1. I was featured on Fitblogger yesterday!
  2. I updated the “Sweat” tab under my header, adding my race recaps/times and various fitness+running posts. Check them out!
  3. I’m sick.

Yes, that’s right. I’m sick. Remember when Bernie was sick last week? Well it seems like I’ve caught whatever he had. I woke up on Monday morning with a scratchy throat and a migraine and I was pissed. This week is so busy between work and packing up my apartment for the move – I just don’t have time to get sick. It seems like these sort of things always happen at the worst time. I guess that the stress of the last week or so took a toll on my immune system. I decided to take charge right away and picked up some Zicam on my way to work. Does it work? No idea. But it’s worth a shot.

Monday night I took it really easy. Half-marathon training in on hold for the next 48 hours in the hope that I can return back at it on Wednesday. Today’s WIAW features all my eats from my sick-day on Tuesday. I didn’t go into the office and worked from home/bed in the hope that I could shake the cold. No fitness this time around. As much as I wanted to get out there and get my run in for the day, I knew it was better to just relax and not push myself. If you want to learn more about WIAW, head to Jenn’s blog.

Breakfast

While I was home in NY, I was finally able to find Peanut Butter & Co.! For breakfast I mixed a tablespoon of Dark Chocolate Dreams with plain chobani and topped it with strawberries and granola. I swear to God, I could eat this meal every single day for breakfast. Greek yogurt+nut butter+fruit+granola=love. Well, ok, let’s be honest – I do eat this almost everyday.

Lunch

Lunch was quick, easy, and delicious! When I work from home, I love having the opportunity to make a hot lunch. Today I cooked up two scrambled eggs with two pieces of Ezekiel toast on the side, topped with roasted red pepper hummus and cucumber slices.

Snack

Around 4:00, my stomach started rumbling, so I pulled two energy balls from the freezer.

Dinner

After getting some packing done (it’s amazing how much crap you can accumulate in a year!) I was pretty hungry. Even though I’m sick, my hunger is still very much present. Whenever I get sick, I crave home cooked food more often than soups or easy meals. I roasted up some green pepper slices and Brussels sprouts at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. On the side was an Amy’s veggie burger and a small sweet potato topped with muenster cheese and some un-pictured hot sauce. This. Was. Good!

Readers: What are some of your favorite eats lately? What do you eat when you’re sick?

1 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile July 25, 2012 at 7:48 am

Being sick is no fun. It looks like you still got in some good food though! Feel better :D
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Final Recap of Survive on 35My Profile

2 blondebostonian July 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Thanks Brittany!

3 Kelly @ My Love Affair with Running July 25, 2012 at 8:21 am

Peanut butter and cucumber…. now that is a combo I have not yet tried!! Your energy balls look delish I may have to make a batch :)
Kelly @ My Love Affair with Running recently posted..Pump it up WednesdayMy Profile

4 blondebostonian July 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm

They are so good. I found the recipe on pinterest and have made two batches in 3 weeks now.

5 chelcie @ chelcie's food files July 25, 2012 at 9:34 am

i never thought of putting munster cheese on a sweet potato..sounds delicious!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Cake cake cakeMy Profile

6 blondebostonian July 25, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I love the combination of the sweet + salty cheese. Feta or goat cheese is another good topping too.

7 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City July 25, 2012 at 10:04 am

Feel better!

When I’m sick I crave comfort food and things that are easy on my stomach. Usually this means veggies are out of the picture for awhile.

I’ve never tried the dark chocolate dreams pb&co, I may have to!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..WIAW {Staycation}My Profile

8 blondebostonian July 25, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Thanks Lindsay! I was pleasantly surprised about the dark choco. pb. I thought it was going to be more like pb nutella, but it definitely has a strong peanut butter flavor.

9 MassachusEATS July 25, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Hope you feel better soon! Hopefully all those veggies will help!
MassachusEATS recently posted..WIAW #23My Profile

10 blondebostonian July 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Thanks! Me too!

11 Jessie July 26, 2012 at 6:30 am

I am exactly like you when it comes to what you crave when your sick. I’ve always wanted some sort of homecook meals, or even a smoothie. Soup never crosses my mind. Hope you start feeling better soon though girl :( It’s never fun being sick during the summer. You poor thing!

12 blondebostonian July 26, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I love smoothies when I’m sick — especially when I have a sore throat. Thanks for the well wishes!

13 Tessa @ Amazing Asset July 26, 2012 at 9:15 am

Dohhh I am sorry you are feeling sick Sarah, not fun in the slightest :( But you are doing great with the food in order to feel better, bring on the nutrients!
P.s. congrats on being featured, how exciting! :)
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..WIAW- Can You Have Both?My Profile

14 blondebostonian July 26, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Thanks Tessa! I’m hoping those veggies pay off.

15 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige July 26, 2012 at 9:45 am

I felt a tickle in my throat yesterday…I hope it’s just being in a dry building! Hope you feel better!

16 blondebostonian July 26, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Oh no! I hope you don’t come down with it! Colds in the summer aren’t fun.

17 Tina @ Best Body Fitness July 26, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I hope you feel better soon! I hate being sick. Since I’m home with the kids I don’t get a break really no matter how awful I feel. I always crave breakfast foods for some reason when I’m sick.
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Fit Bit: One StepMy Profile

18 blondebostonian July 26, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Thanks Tina! Yeah, I can imagine the kids aren’t too sympathetic when mom’s sick haha. I crave breakfast foods too, it must be something about the comfort thing.