Healthy Living Summit Day 1

by Sarah on August 20, 2012 · 27 comments

in Blogging,Boston,Food,Fun

I have so much to write about after this weekend’s Healthy Living Summit, I honestly don’t even know where to begin. The fun weekend all started Friday afternoon. I headed to the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Cambridge around 2:00 to check-in. At check-in I met the lovely Meghann, who recognized my blog name and I had a mini internal freak out! I love Meghann’s blog and have been reading it for years, so that was a pretty cool start to the weekend. I also got to meet Julie. I’ve been working with her on my blog redesign, so it was really nice to meet her in person. I picked up my badge, swag bag, and Reebok sneakers. Holy swag!

A month ago, we had all gotten an email from the ladies organizing HLS about shoe sizes – and the surprise did not disappoint! It’s like they knew that my favorite color was purple!

After meeting up with my favorite Boston blogger buddies Tracy and Amy, we headed into the first session. The Greatist founder Derek Flanzraich spoke about his experience starting The Greatist, the fastest-growing health and fitness start-up on the web. I’ve been reading The Greatist for a while now, so it was really cool to hear him speak.

Derek covered many topics in his session. One of the things he talked about was how important it is to know what your mission of your blog is, and to commit to it. He also talked about how important it is to develop a personality when writing your blog. Whether it’s your true personality or the personality you put on when you write your blog – your readers recognize it and will know when you’re being unauthentic. He also gave some great advice about content. He talked about how Greatist is all about slices of content. There’s no way they could write one article all about “How To Run a Marathon” – the article would either be the most massive article ever, or it would cheat the readers by not proving enough information. So instead of writing about one massive topic, write about small pieces, slices. So if you’re writing about marathon training, a slice could be “The Best Things to Eat After a Long Run” or “How to Avoid Blisters.” He gave me a lot of good ideas to take home. Thanks to Derek for a great talk!

Later that night was the welcome cocktail party sponsored by REBOOTizer! Everyone got 1 drink ticket at the door, which was A-okay with me. I knew I the next morning was going to be a tough wake up and I was driving. Gotta be safe! At the party, I got to meet so many bloggers whose blogs I’ve been reading for a while now. It it was kind of like meeting friends – you recognize everyone and know so much about them, but you’ve never actually meet any of them in real life. It’s a weird feeling to describe. First thing we did when we walked in was take advantage of the photo booth!

I met up with my Boston ladies; Tessa, Sara, Amy, and Tracy. And I also got to finally meet Chelcie!

The food all weekend was pretty bomb, including at the cocktail party. There was various cheese and crackers, spreads, veggies, mini whoopie pies! I tried the chocolate one and it was super delicious. They also had a popcorn and Taza chocolate station as well. I love the Boston area companies representing at the HLS.

At the cocktail party, I met some bloggers who I read all the time like Stellina and Katie, and some other Boston bloggers Stephanie and Becki. We had a great time chatting about live in Boston, blogging, and the summit. Overall, it was a really fun night and a great start to the HLS12!

Day 2 and MUCH more to come tomorrow!

1 Alicia August 20, 2012 at 8:48 am

Mmm those mini whoopee pies were the best!! It was such a great time!
Alicia recently posted..Post Healthy Living Summit ThoughtsMy Profile

2 blondebostonian August 20, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Weren’t they!? I wanted to try the lemon one but totally forgot – I got distracted by meeting so many bloggers! It was an awesome night.

3 Amy@macncheesenpeas August 20, 2012 at 8:52 am

Awww I love that photobooth pic of all of us! I <3 all the BHLBers!
Amy@macncheesenpeas recently posted..HLS Highlights!My Profile

4 blondebostonian August 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm

5 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile August 20, 2012 at 9:11 am

Yay, I’m so glad I got to meet you!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Chobani DinnerMy Profile

6 blondebostonian August 20, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Me too!!

7 Caroline August 20, 2012 at 10:09 am

Sounds like so much fun!!
Caroline recently posted..Motivation mondayMy Profile

8 blondebostonian August 20, 2012 at 12:01 pm

It was a great time – it’s always nice to meet other like-minded people!

9 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake August 20, 2012 at 11:50 am

Looks like so much fun! Of course I’ve seen tons of photos of the Reebok shoes from this weekend, but yours is the first pair of purple ones I’ve seen… love it!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Product Review: Vega Energizing SmoothieMy Profile

10 blondebostonian August 20, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I was so happy when I got the purple – but I was jealous of some other colors too! It was great that they all weren’t the same.

11 Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness August 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm

It was so great meeting you at HLS!!! I’m always excited to meet other bloggers in the area! we should definitely plan a boston blogger meet up soon! I’m already looking forward to next years HLS!
Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..Marvelous in My MondayMy Profile

12 blondebostonian August 21, 2012 at 8:56 am

Yes!! Someone is organizing something. When I hear more details, I’ll forward them along via email!

13 Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat August 20, 2012 at 2:55 pm

It was so great to meet you! I’m really glad that I’ve been able to meet so many Boston area bloggers recently, we definitely have to try to do some meetups. And I wish I could have gone to Derek’s Greatist talk, but I couldn’t get out of work that afternoon. Sounds like he had some great tips and pointers for everyone!
Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat recently posted..Healthy Living Summit RecapMy Profile

14 blondebostonian August 21, 2012 at 8:55 am

Yes – I heard that there is some Boston-area blogger meet-up organizing in the works. When I hear more details I will definitely forward it along!

15 Amanda @RunToTheFinish August 20, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Running registration was so much fun because we got to meet people right away! I loved putting faces together with blogs I’ve read and finding new bloggers like you!
Amanda @RunToTheFinish recently posted..NYC Marathon Training and Gear: The Simply BarMy Profile

16 blondebostonian August 21, 2012 at 8:54 am

Definitely agree – it was great meeting you too Amanda!

17 Tessa at Amazing Asset August 20, 2012 at 3:29 pm

We are freakin adorable in the photo booth pics ;) Seriously, what a great group of foxy ladies! Loved hanging out with you this weekend Sarah, cannot wait until we reunite again!
Tessa at Amazing Asset recently posted..HLS- A Different LookMy Profile

18 blondebostonian August 21, 2012 at 8:51 am

We are some good looking ladies, aren’t we?! I had a great time too! We will definitely get together soon!

19 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City August 20, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I’m glad you had such a great experience :)
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Monday Things {08-20-2012}My Profile

20 Meghann August 20, 2012 at 6:11 pm

It was so good meeting you! I’m glad you had a great time and I can’t wait to see your recaps from the rest of the summit!!
Meghann recently posted..Will Blog for WineMy Profile

21 Jessie August 21, 2012 at 9:01 am

Even though I’m ridiculous jealous of all you girls getting to meet/know each other, i couldn’t be more happier for all of you! Looks like such a fun time <3 Lovee the shoes too!
Jessie recently posted..Trade Em Up Tuesday #1My Profile

22 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life August 21, 2012 at 9:30 am

Oh my gosh – those whoopie pies were SO good, right?!? :)
Great meeting you this weekend!!
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..Until ThenMy Profile

23 blondebostonian August 22, 2012 at 8:55 am

You too Courtney!

24 Devon August 21, 2012 at 3:29 pm

OMG that cheese table!
Devon recently posted..Wanderlust: Food for thought in BarcelonaMy Profile

25 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries August 21, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Ahhh I LOVE the photo of us!!!! Boston blogger meetup ASAP :)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Healthy Living Summit – Day OneMy Profile

{ 2 trackbacks }