WIAW #24: Flank Steak Lovin’ {What I Ate Wednesday}

by Sarah on September 19, 2012 · 16 comments

in Blogging,Boston,Food,WIAW

Hi friends and happy Wednesday! I have a lot to be excited about today.

1. It’s Wednesday – Hump Day! It’s all down hill from here.
  2. Tonight is the first meet-up event of the newly formed Healthy Living Boston Bloggers group. Thanks to Meghann’s discussion at #HLS12 this year, Blogger in Your Neighborhood, some of the Boston ladies were inspired to create a formal group. The Facebook group is 44 members strong! Tonight we’re meeting up at Tavern in the Square in Porter Sq., Cambridge. If you’re a Boston blogger who loves fitness, healthy living, etc. – Join us! We’ll be there starting at 6:30 tonight.
  3. It’s WIAW!

In case you don’t know about WIAW, I suggest you head over to Jenn’s blog, Peas and Crayons, to learn all about it and see the links of other WIAW bloggers. Since Jenn encouraged us to go along the theme of Healthy Fall Habits this month, I’ve decided to create my own healthy habit. Lately I’ve been thinking more and more about my diet and being a little bit more careful about what I put in my body. After a couple super indulgent weekends, I decided that it was time to start tracking my food intake a bit more closely. For the record, I am NOT by any means counting calories to restrict myself. For goodness sakes I’m training for a half marathon right now – my body needs the calories! But I am currently using the My Fitness Pal app to keep track of not only my calories, but my protein/carbs/fats ratios (which is so important when training) and to help keep me a little more accountable when I have the “Well I ran 11 miles yesterday, I can so have this gigantic burger and fries for lunch, and this ice cream, and this pizza…” mentality that isn’t really healthy. I have had issues in the past with crazy calorie restricting and food obsessions, so I’m definitely handling this app with baby gloves. So far, I’m feeling empowered using it, not stressed or anxious, which is a great sign.

On to the food!

Breakfast

I had about 1/3 cup left in my big plain Chobani container after making breakfast on Monday. You know what that means – Overnight Oats! I added 1/3 cup Old Fashioned oats, 1/3 cup Almond milk, drizzle of honey, and ground flax to the mix. I enjoyed it the next day topped with a juicy local peach and a tb of Justin’s Maple Almond Butter. Justin’s was on sale this week at WF – $7.99 a container. I had to do it.

Lunch

Lunch was leftovers from a particularly #cleaneats dinner last night. Chicken breasts, roasted brussels sprouts and broccoli, and roasted sweet potatoes – all dipped in some BBQ sauce. I finished the meal with some un-pictured red grapes. You guys know what those look like.

Snack

For some reason, I was STARVING around 3:00. So I had a Kashi granola bar from my snack drawer at work. I normally have a couple snacks that I keep at work in my drawer for when I’m feeling hungry. It was particularly empty last week so I stocked up on some snacks at the grocery store this weekend. Now it’s FULL!

Dinner

After a boring 5 mile run on the dreadmill, I started on dinner. I’m trying to fit more red meat in my diet (1-2x a week instead of 0x a week before) and dinner is the easiest time for me to do that. Back in July, I looked around on my favorite foodie blogs for a red meat recipe to make for Bernie’s birthday. He’s a red meat lover through and through, so when I found Gina’s recipe for Grilled Flank Steak with Tomatoes, Red Onion, and Balsamic I was sold. Bernie couldn’t stop raving about this when I made it, and I honestly couldn’t either. I’m not a big steak person but this recipe is incredible. Ever since, this has been in the meal rotation quite often. Paired with some brown rice, it’s perfection.

I finished the day with some Whole Food chocolate graham bears. Can’t resist.

Happy day!

Readers: Do you use any fitness/health apps to keep you on track? What are some healthy habits you’re embracing this Fall?

1 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife September 19, 2012 at 8:32 am

I’ve tried to use food apps before but it just never worked I always forgot to plug it in or I didn’t really know the serving size I was using.
Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Last WIAW of the SummerMy Profile

2 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 19, 2012 at 11:30 am

I am ALWAYS starving in the afternoon! Haha I eat a morning snack and an afternoon snack, I feel like I’m always hungry during training!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW-Wiped Out!My Profile

3 blondebostonian September 20, 2012 at 10:12 am

#runnerproblems

4 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction September 19, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I use the Nike ID for running all the time, I love it! I am going to try to make it tonigh to the meetup!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Knee Pain UpdateMy Profile

5 Jenna September 19, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Those Kashi bars are a staple in my snack drawer at work!

6 Jorie @ The Midwest Maven September 19, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I do not run nearly as far distances, but I am guilty of occasionally doing the justification thing too. I’m working on it!

Those Kashi bars look great. And PS I really like your blog, I just stumbled on it. I went to college in Boston and it’s safe to say I’m still obsessed with all things Boston.
Jorie @ The Midwest Maven recently posted..Yellowstone National Park Part II: Tenting in Bear CountryMy Profile

7 blondebostonian September 20, 2012 at 10:11 am

Thank you Jorie! Where did you go to school? I went to Northeastern so I just stuck around after college.

8 Jorie @ The Midwest Maven September 20, 2012 at 11:32 am

I went to school at Boston University. I miss it all the time!
Jorie @ The Midwest Maven recently posted..Peanut Butter Oatmeal Monster CookiesMy Profile

9 Laura @ Mommy Run Fast September 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I love those Kashi bars, too. It all looks delicious! Enjoy the Boston bloggers meet up, what a cool idea!
Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted..Menu Planning Link Up ChallengeMy Profile

10 chelcie @ chelcie's food files September 19, 2012 at 7:11 pm

mm that recipe sounds so delicious! i’m not much of a red meat eater but I do enjoy a good steak every now and then..also a good burger! i LOVE the peach and almond butter combination..best combo ever.
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Mini Cupcakes>Regular CupcakesMy Profile

11 blondebostonian September 20, 2012 at 10:11 am

Isn’t it?! Totally discovered it this summer. I was never a big peach eater until recently and I’m hooked!

12 Tessa @ Amazing Asset September 19, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I love to use Chobani containers like that… super convenient of course and yay for no extra dishes! I have one coming up as a matter of fact…
The recipes look tasty too, I don’t eat enough red meat, time to change that ;) I hope tonight was so fun! I wish I could have made it but ehh a lot of sh*t went down today and just couldn’t fit it in… next time though for sure!
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..Blog Q & A + WIAWMy Profile

13 blondebostonian September 20, 2012 at 10:10 am

Definitely love the no dishes thing! I didn’t end up going to the meet-up. I got stuck in crazy traffic in Allston. Literally moved 500 feet in 25 minutes. Before I knew it, it was close to 8:00 and I wasn’t even in Cambridge yet. So I skipped out. Hopefully I’ll see you at the next one!

14 Cait September 19, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Good to know I am not the only one who crams a drawer at work full of snacks! I guess my coworkers don’t do the snacky thing. That dinner looks so good too!

15 blondebostonian September 20, 2012 at 10:09 am

Gotta have those healthy snacks for emergencies!

16 Mariella Lombardi September 20, 2012 at 2:54 am

I don’t eat a lot before my training, but I always a huge meal after. I am a meat person lately, so I also incorporate a lot of red meat into my diet. The steak looks really delicious.
Mariella Lombardi recently posted..No-Nonsense Tips to Remove Toxic Thoughts from Your Mind, Always Feel Positive about Yourself…And Slim Your WaistlineMy Profile