Quinoa Taco Bites

by Sarah on October 16, 2012 · 8 comments

in Food,Recipes

With my injury, I finally have some time on my hands to put a little more creative thought into my meals. I recently bought a new bag of quinoa (it takes me forever to get through one) and I started to think of some different ways I could use it. I’ve seen many recipes for quinoa muffins or bites on Pinterest lately, so I got to thinking how it would be a great vehicle to use up some left over ingredients in my fridge. One ingredient I have a little too much of right now is taco-seasoned cheese. I bought a 2lb bag of it about a week or so ago for taco night, and have had more than too much of it left ever since. After peaking in my fridge and finding some left over black beans, I knew I could whip up a Mexican flavored quinoa bite really easily.

These bites were simply delicious. They had just a hint of the Mexican seasonings that I love. Topped with some salsa, they were even better! Of course, the seasonings can be adjusted or more can be added according to your tastes. That’s what I love about quinoa bites – substitutions are easy and still delicious.

1 Jade October 16, 2012 at 8:28 am

Saved this recipe!

2 chelcie @ chelcie's food files October 16, 2012 at 9:31 am

i love the little muffin size of these! they sound delicious!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Monday eats + treats from my Aunt!My Profile

3 Army amy* October 16, 2012 at 11:23 am

This looks so good! I have a big box of quinoa, and this might be a fun way to cook it later this week. Do you think it’d work without flour? I don’t use flour that much, so I’d hate to buy a whole big bag for just a few tablespoon’s worth.*
Army amy* recently posted..A Runner Without A RaceMy Profile

4 blondebostonian October 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

It will definitely work without flour, but they may fall apart a little bit without it. If you have breadcrumbs, you could try substituting the flour for a tablespoon of breadcrumbs. Or you could just try it without flour. Let me know how it goes – I’m curious how they turn out without it.

5 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction October 16, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I love quinoa, but I always forget to make it! Sometimes it’s a little bland for me, but with the right seasonings, it can be real tasty. This recipe looks delish :)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Amica Half-Marathon RecapMy Profile

6 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile October 16, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Ahh I love this idea!!!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Mizuno Review and GiveawayMy Profile

7 The Hook October 19, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Very cool! Thanks!
The Hook recently posted..The Hook Loses It – Temporarily…My Profile

8 Sunnie@moderngirlnutrition November 3, 2012 at 2:59 pm

These are so creative and easy! I have some quinoa that needs to be used up and I know exactly where it’s going now! Thanks for sharing:)
Sunnie@moderngirlnutrition recently posted..Dinner’s Ready (and soon!)My Profile