Festive Festivities

by Sarah on December 10, 2012 · 13 comments

in Food,Friends,Fun,Nights out

Hello everyone and happy Monday! I hope everyone is kicking their Monday off to a good start. This past weekend was the first official party weekend of the 2012 Christmas season! It was a busy weekend so I’ll start from the beginning.

Friday night Bernie and I stayed in and rested up. I swung by Whole Foods on Friday to pick up my $7.99/lb. salmon and I walked out with a new-to-me drink: kombucha. I’ve seen so many other bloggers drinking it, I thought I would try it. I grabbed a mango flavor and really liked it! It’s tangy – which was surprisingly delicious. I’m going to try drinking a little more of this during the week, especially when I’m feeling tired or run down. It’s supposed to help with detoxing the body naturally and boosting energy, which we all need this time of year.

I also rounded out the night by baking some chocolate butter cookies. I found this recipe on the lovely Courtney’s blog, Sweet Tooth Sweet Life and knew I had to try it out. It’s surprisingly simple and super delicious. I knew it would be perfect to bring to the part on Saturday.

Saturday morning was kicked off with oatmeal, coffee, and some major condo cleaning. After I finished, I headed to the gym and completed Julie’s Winter Circuit workout. Oh boy – it’s intense! If you’re looking for a good butt-kicking workout, you must do this one. I did each circuit 3x’s through and my glutes and hamstrings are so sore still. We got some major DOMS going on. I never got my run in this weekend (boo) but I will most certainly be doing at least 3-4 this week! I then came back from the gym and had the most delicious random meal ever. mixed greens, topped with onions and mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and balsamic, and an Amy’s veggie burger. Yum!

Saturday night we headed out the suburbs to our friends’ Christmas party. Andrew and Liz were the couple hosting and they did a fabulous job! There was more food than we knew what to do with, and plenty of drinks. Others also brought some snacks – like the gingerbread snowmen melt cookies! I saw these on pinterest recently and they looked just as good in person! Danielle did such a good job with these.

We also had a White Elephant exchange. People got really creative with the gifts! I ended up with a wine decanter and some short glasses. Danielle got my favorite of the night – an alcoholic ice luge!

Drinks were free flowing and I mayyyyy have had a little too much. But who cares – sometimes you just have to let it all hang loose. Everyone was having a great time!

I honestly don’t know how this happened, whose idea it was, and other details. But at some point in the night, we made the spaghetti mixture that Buddy the Elf makes in the Elf movie. It looked disgusting, but a few brave souls were completely game. haha. I LOVE that movie!

Needless to say, we had a great time and were a little worse for wear the next morning. This pretty much sums it up.

Try again.

Much better. Yes, Bernie is wear his antlers in the restaurant. We all stumbled to breakfast still in our festive wear. Santa hats do a great job at covering up bad hangover bead-head hair. I detoxed with a spinach and feta omelet and spent the day recovering. Man, I’m too old for this.

Readers: How was your weekend? Have you been to any holiday parties this season? Have you seen any Pinterest-inspired foods?

1 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries December 10, 2012 at 8:50 am

Ahhh it looks like such a fun weekend!! For some strange reason, whenever I see that part on Elf when Buddy eats that spaghetti concoction I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO TRY IT. You have to let me know how it was! Haha
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..The Weekend RoundupMy Profile

2 Sarah December 11, 2012 at 10:01 am

haha it didn’t look good. Bernie can attest to the the taste, but he didn’t look pleased when he tried it.

3 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 10, 2012 at 8:59 am

Looks like a great weekend! Mango is one of my favorite flavors of Kombucha. So yummy :)
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Abnormally ExcitedMy Profile

4 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction December 10, 2012 at 9:08 am

I have my first holiday party on Friday! Your cookies look amazing! I really want to make those snowman ones, I’ve seen those on Pinterest!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..My Christmas PlaylistMy Profile

5 Sarah December 11, 2012 at 10:01 am

<3 Pinterest!

6 Devon December 10, 2012 at 11:27 am

Those cookies look like my favorite holiday sweet- Russian Tea Cakes. My grandmother, aunt and now, I make them every year. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/russian-tea-cakes-i/ As for my weekend- I survived Santa Con Boston 2012.
Devon recently posted..Beauty Gift GuideMy Profile

7 Sarah December 11, 2012 at 10:01 am

My mom made Mexican wedding cakes every Christmas – which are similar to the Russian Tea Cakes. Great recipe!

8 Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete December 10, 2012 at 11:28 am

I’ve never heard of kombucha before, but it sounds like I could use it! I could always use some detoxing and some extra energy :)
Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete recently posted..A holiday (and life) messageMy Profile

9 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City December 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Looks like you had a great weekend! I have a few blogger related holiday parties to go to and then my work has a potluck but that’s about it!

I can’t believe you guys made the spaghetti from Elf, how funny! I love that movie!
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Monday Things {12-10-2012}My Profile

10 Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog December 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I love Kombucha! It’s the best for detoxing and feeling refreshed after indulging in too much food, drink, etc. Just be careful to not drink too much too quickly – It can make some people feel sick. I watched Elf with some friends this weekend too – Love that you guys made the spaghetti concoction. How fun!
Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog recently posted..Elf 4 Health Challenge – The BeginningMy Profile

11 Sarah December 11, 2012 at 10:00 am

Sounds like my kind of weekend!

12 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 10, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I’m planning on making Courtney’s cookies for my family’s cookie swap this year! I’m glad to hear you liked them.
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Panera BreadMy Profile

13 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life December 11, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Holy cow! I cant believe that you guys actually made the Buddy the Elf spaghetti!! Was it good??? Kind of grosses me out just thinking about it! :)
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..Still Working on NormalMy Profile