WIAW #38: Travel Eats {What I Ate Wednesday}

by Sarah on January 2, 2013 · 15 comments

in Food,Travel,WIAW

san diego

Hello everyone and happy New Year! It’s been quite a while, hasn’t it? I’ve been busy traveling across the country (literally) and settling back into life back on the east coast. It’s going to be a weird short week of work, which I’m definitely not complaining about. I thought it would be fun to kick off the week of regular blogging with What I Ate Wednesday full of eats I’ve had while traveling. My meals were all over the place while I was traveling, but I’ve tried to continue having some fresh fruits or veggies everyday when I can. I’ll fill you guys in more on mine and Bernie’s trip to San Diego in the upcoming days, but for now onto WIAW! Thanks to Jenn for hosting as always.

christmas

“Christmas” morning breakfast with my family in NY. It was really Christmas Eve Eve.

christmas dinner

“Christmas” dinner – turkey with gravy, mashed potatoes, rolls, green bean casserole, corn bread stuffing. Delicious.

san diego

Our first breakfast at The Eggery in San Diego was at the AMAZING. I got the baja egg scramble which came with salsa as a topper and fresh fruit. So good!

san diego

We took a trip across the bridge and visited the beautiful Coronado island. We took the chance to visit the Coronado Brewing Company where Bernie, Nick, and I ordered flights of their classic beers and snacked on chips, salsa, and guacamole. The Mermaid’s Red ended up being my favorite. It tasted a lot like Sam Adam’s Brick Red.

san diego

Dinner the first night was a chicken sandwich with sweet potato fries and LOTS of guac.

IMG_1424

On the last night of our trip we headed to the Gaslamp District of San Diego to go bar hopping. We actually ended up visiting 3 different bars that night, including the Tipsy Crow. Bernie ordered a drink that ended up being a really good hefeweizen in a bag. Hilarious.

san diego

On the recommendation by my dad, we hit up Tin Fish Gaslamp for dinner on the last night. I ordered a Mahi Mahi taco and a Sea Bass taco. SO GOOD!

san diego

The last day, we fueled a long day of traveling with a breakfast at Kono’s on the water. The pancakes didn’t impress me, but the bacon was nice and crispy and the eggs were super cheesy and delicious. I had some of Bernie’s french toast and wish I got that instead, but it was an overall really good meal. So much butter!

salad

Once we got back, I was ready for some veggies in my life. Wish a fridge stocked full of food, I treated myself to an amazing salad on Monday for lunch. In the mix: baby greens, shredded carrots, baby tomatoes, leftover quinoa and rice, grilled chicken, and balsamic dressing. It was definitely what I needed.

Readers: How was your week? How did you celebrate the holidays? What were your New Year’s Eve plans?

1 Amy@macncheesenpeas January 2, 2013 at 9:38 am

Wow, so much delicious food!! I hope you and Bernie had a great trip! I can’t wait to read the full recap! meet-up soon??
Amy@macncheesenpeas recently posted..Shaina’s Story: Training for the Boston Marathon 2013My Profile

2 Sarah January 2, 2013 at 12:48 pm

YES! We should definitely have a January meet-up!

3 Tracy January 2, 2013 at 9:44 am

Sarah I am so jealous. I love San Diego and the gaslamp district is so fun! Hope you and Bernie had a great time. Happy New Year to you both!

4 Sarah January 2, 2013 at 12:48 pm

You too Tracy!

5 Stephanie @ My Freckled Life January 2, 2013 at 9:58 am

So many good looking breakfasts!! Also, we had almost the exact same thing for Christmas dinner! I always think it’s funny how much Christmas food ends up looking like Thanksgiving all over again!
Stephanie @ My Freckled Life recently posted..Peace Out 2012!My Profile

6 Sarah January 2, 2013 at 12:49 pm

haha our Christmas dinner is always Thanksgiving #2. I’m not complaining one bit!

7 Caroline January 2, 2013 at 10:36 am

Hope you had a blast in San Diego! I went with my boyfriend last year and we had SO much fun! Can’t wait to hear more about it : )
Happy New Year!
Caroline recently posted..To MiamiMy Profile

8 Sarah January 2, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Happy New Year to you too Caroline! Loved hearing about your Miami adventures – looks like a great trip to take in December!

9 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction January 2, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Looks like fun! Jealous you were in warmer weather. NYE was pretty low key, just went out for sushi and then back home…kind of lame, but not that bad, haha!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Resolutions vs. GoalsMy Profile

10 Sarah January 2, 2013 at 12:50 pm

We did something similar. Went out for an impromptu dinner with a couple friends and then the 4 of us spent the rest of the night drinking wine and playing card games.

11 Laura @ Mommy Run Fast January 2, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Yum! Sounds like you found some awesome restaurants on your travels. and had lovely holidays. My body was craving for salads again after all the indulging, too!
Laura @ Mommy Run Fast recently posted..New Year’s WIAW + Avocado Tuna SaladMy Profile

12 Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog January 2, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Everything looks delicious! Visiting microbreweries is one of my favorite things to do while traveling. They are usually so laid back and really give you a feel for the culture of a new city. Cheers!
Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog recently posted..Hitting ResetMy Profile

13 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries January 2, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Ahhh it looks like you had such a wonderful trip! I’m so jealous. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..2013 ChangesMy Profile

14 Cait January 2, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I have lived in LA for so long and have yet to head down to San Diego. Looked like a lot of fun though! I didn’t realize all the good food down there!
Cait recently posted..WIAW #17My Profile

15 Jessie January 3, 2013 at 2:16 am

So many delicious meals!! Love that you started your days off with pancakes. Breakfast of champions for sure. Happy New Year =)
Jessie recently posted..Thankful Thursday : New RecipeMy Profile