Hello friends and happy Friday! Phew – this has been a busy, busy week! I cannot WAIT to get this long weekend started! Ever since the start of 1213, I’ve been go, go, go. But with the excitement, comes stress. There have been a few specific things that have gotten me through this stressful period lately, as well as some things I have to look forward to in the future. So today, I thought I would share those things with you:
What I’m Loving Lately
1. Vegging on the couch watching Homeland. To say I am obsessed with Homeland would be putting it lightly. I am so hooked on this show. I heard people raving about it for a while now, but I never actually sat down to watch an episode. I hate jumping into shows mid-season, so I figured I’d wait until season 2 was over and then try to find season 1 on either Netflix or OnDemand. Sadly, Homeland season 1 wasn’t offered on OnDemand…until a couple weeks ago! I watched the first season in a week I think? I can’t get enough of it! Any time I have a free hour, I watch an episode. I just started season 2 and I can’t wait to watch more. I think this long weekend will involve a whole lot of Carrie and Brody.
2. Blogging Friends (aka: Blends). I have some pretty phenomenal blog friends. I was lucky to spend the day with Tracy at the Wellness by the Water Retreat, and I had an awesome dinner last night with her, Amy, Stellina, and Tessa. We went to Lolita in the Back Bay and enjoyed good company, GREAT food, and fantastic cocktails. I never had a ton of girlfriends in school – high school or college – so spending time with these ladies is a welcomed change from my guy friends (though I still love you all!)
Tessa, Tracy, and I
3. Banana “ice cream”. Yeah, I know, ice cream getting me through stressful times? Okay, Sarah miss “health and wellness.” But hear me out – I’m not downing pints of Ben & Jerry’s while sitting in my bed watching Homeland (while that does sound appealing…). This is healthy “ice cream”. Well, it’s not ice cream at all. I ordered a new food processor through a sale on HauteLook and I think I’m in love. I had seen this concoction on other blogs and on Pinterest, so I knew I had to try it.
1-Minute Banana “Ice Cream”
- 1-2 frozen, unpeeled, chopped bananas (best when ripe to over-ripe)
- splash of almond milk (but not really needed)
- Place frozen banana pieces in food processor.
- Set the processor to “Chop” the banana pieces until they are smaller, then blend until smooth.
- Add a splash of almond milk if it isn’t creamy enough. And voila – frozen banana “ice cream”!
I added a little bit (1/2 – 1 tsp?) of honey peanut butter while I was blending the bananas because who doesn’t love bananas and peanut butter? Topped with chocolate chips, it was the perfect nighttime dessert.
What I’m Looking Forward To
Ultimate Bootcamp! I hinted last week about a 4x/week 4-week bootcamp that I will be taking part in during the end of January and into February. I will be participating in Ultimate Bootcamp’s 4-week session as a blog ambassador. Here’s a little bit more about UB from their website:
About Ultimate Bootcamp
Ultimate Bootcamp is the premier bootcamp program in New England. Founded in 2004, Ultimate Bootcamp has helped thousands of participants shed pounds, build muscle, shave time off their races and meet a variety of other fitness goals. Utilizing certified trainers in parks and gyms across New England, including Greater Boston and Providence, Ultimate Bootcamp provides unique workouts that burn 500 to 700 calories per class and provide a double-burn effect throughout the day.
My session meets Monday-Thursday from 6-7am for 4 weeks, and it starts next Tuesday January 22nd (not on the 21st, since it’s a holiday). I’m excited to get started, but a little nervous. I am SORE from my first CrossFit WOD on Wednesday. I haven’t been this sore after a workout since volleyball tryout week in high school. My legs feel good, but my arms/shoulders/upper back is in agony. I just hope that the workouts aren’t quite as intense. I know I’ll get used to them, but this is going to be killer. But it’s good – I am breaking out of my comfort zone – which is my goal for 2013.
I’ll be blogging about my Ultimate Bootcamp adventures, so there will be a lot of fitness talk for the next 4 weeks. If reading about my experiences with Ultimate Bootcamp makes you want to try it out, boy do I have a deal for you! If any of my Boston-area readers want to sign up for their own 4-week session, use my special coupon code below to get $30 off the price! That’s a big-time savings! The offer lasts until June 30th, so if you don’t want to try it now, you have until summer to sign up.
I’m excited to see what Ultimate Bootcamp has in store for me. I hope I get my ass handed to me – I need the push!
Readers: What is getting you through lately? What are your favorite things to make in the food processor – I need recipe ideas! Have you ever tried a bootcamp workout? What’s your favorite TV show?
**disclaimer** I was gifted an Ultimate Bootcamp 4-week session as part of their blog ambassador program in exchange for my honest review of the workout on my blog. I was not compensated in any other way. All thoughts and opinions of Ultimate Bootcamp are my own. Please consult your doctor before beginning any intense exercise program.