B.A.A. 10k 2013 Race Recap

by Sarah on June 24, 2013 · 26 comments

in Boston,Races,Running

Guess what today is!? It’s the official first day of marathon training! If you want to learn more about the personal reasons why I’m running the Marine Corps Marathon, check out Friday’s post. On the schedule for today? Rest day! Talk about an eventful day 1 of training. Bernie was not impressed with my hardcore marathon training plan that starts on day 1 with rest.

not impressed

But I need some rest today because yesterday I ran the B.A.A. 10k in Boston. This was the B.A.A.’s 3rd annual race and part 2 of their 3-race distance medley. I did the medley last year and it includes running their 5k the day before the marathon, the 10k, and a half in October. I always love participating in B.A.A. events because they run like clockwork. Every race starts on time, is fantastically organized, and is super fun. Last year I ran the race with Stephanie, but this year I ran solo.

BAA 10k

This race was the first Boston Athletic Association event to be held in the city since the Boston Marathon on April 15th. Normally, this race doesn’t sell out. But with the unwavering support of runners all over the city and the world, the race sold out in record time with about 6,500 entrants. The organizers encouraged everyone to support the city by wearing blue and gold, the colors of the B.A.A. and this year’s Boston Marathon colors (every year they choose different colors for the race). You didn’t have to tell me twice!

baa 10k

CS by City Sports all sports tank and Boston Strong Sweaty Band. Plus some blue Oiselle roga shorts which I’m kind of obsessed with.

The race starts in Boston Common, runs up Comm. Ave to almost the end of Boston University and then turns around at the 5k mark to head back to the Commons. I love this race for many reasons, but the main ones are #1 – it’s a short 20 min. T ride away. #2 – it runs along the same routes I run everyday. While everyone else is dying in the sun and the gradual mile long up-hill on Comm. Ave, I’m cool as a cucumber. This year was also especially meaningful because of everything that happened on April 15th. This city is still recovering. We are all still recovering. But it’s moments like race where the human spirit is clearly stronger.

I got to the start a little later than I wanted. I had JUST enough time to pick up my t-shirt, check my bag (that’s why there aren’t many photos – I checked my cell phone with my bag), head to the rest room one last time, and then meet up with Dave, my editor at We Love Beantown. He’s a big time runner too and was running solo so we decided to meet up and run it together. My goal for the race, beat last year’s time of 54:30. Since it was insanely hot and humid, I knew that was going to be a challenge. But I’ve been feeling strong, really strong with my running lately so I thought “why not push it?”. Before I knew it we were off!

Miles 1 and 2 are in the shade, which was much welcomed. By the time we got to mile 2, we hit the unshaded stretch on Comm. Ave. At that point I’m going to guess it was at least 80 degrees with really high humidity. Dave and I were keeping a solid 8:30 pace the whole time and I was feeling good. I really got into a groove in mile 2. At the turn-around point I saw a familiar face – Bernie! After a quick high five, it was back down Comm. Ave. Around the halfway mark was when Dave dropped off to walk for a second. The heat was REALLY getting bad at this point. I saw a lot of runners off to the side needing medical help. Pretty crazy for a 10k, you normally see a lot of that at marathons. At mile 4 was the Gatorade table and I learned from the year before (where the weather was pretty much exactly the same) to take a cup. My pace was good, but I started to notice my feet were slipping a bit in my shoes. With the humidity and the heat, I knew a blister was eminent. So I stopped to tighten my shoes. Maybe 20 seconds? Oh well. Then I was off again.

Finally, we hit the shade at mile 5. That last mile was tough. Really tough. It’s a long flat run into the finish, and while the shade helped, the heat was getting to me. What pushed me to the end was someone screaming behind me at mile 5 “Finish strong for the marathon!” Done.

Before I knew it, I turned on Charles Street into the finish. I could see the finish line. At that moment, I could only think of two things. #1 – how good it felt to see the finish. #2 – I need to finish this for those who saw their own finish line on April 15th, but never made it. With a huge American flag hanging from a fire truck above me, the people on the side screaming my name (our names were on our bibs), and a “Boston Strong” song playing over the loud speaker, any Bostonian can’t help but remember that moment. It was pretty powerful stuff.

Finally I crossed the finish line with a smile on my face and I looked down at my Garmin. I did it! PR baby!

baa 10k

Garmin time: 52:25

Official chip time: 52:44

2 minutes off last year’s time! Yes!

After sitting down in the park to stretch, recover, and cool off, I headed home. I wanted to stay, but it was hot and I wanted to get home. There was a ceremony at the race where Boston Marathon men’s winner Lelisa Desisa of Ethiopia returned his marathon medal to the city of Boston to honor those injured and killed in the bombings. It was such a selfless act, to return his medal that he worked for and earned in order to give back, it’s really incredible. I then ran into Becki from Fighting for Wellness who had a great race too! On my way to the T, I walked past the Old South Church and saw that there were prayer ribbons tied to the fence filled with prayers for the city and those affected by the bombings. Small reminders of that day are all over the city. They make you stop and remember. It was a really simple yet beautiful tribute.

baa 10k

baa 10k

Keep calm and marathon.

Readers: How was your weekend?

Anyone run a race? How did it go?

What’s your favorite race distance?

1 Susan June 24, 2013 at 9:49 am

Nice post Sarah! I ran it as well and it was a hot one but I like running BAA events. My time wasn’t as fast as you but I was happy with it. My plan was to start slow and increase my speed towards the end. This plan worked well for me. Thanks for a nice recap!

2 Sarah June 24, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Great plan! That was my plan for the day as well, didn’t work out exactly (I slowed down a bit at mile 3-4 cause of the heat) but I was proud of myself for not stopping to walk. I love the BAA events as well.

3 Alaina June 24, 2013 at 11:05 am

Way to go Sarah!! I had such a brutal race. I went out too fast and bombed at the end. And I haven’t really been running all that much lately, too. I need to change that!

Congratulations on PR’ing! That’s amazing considering the tough conditions. :-)
Alaina recently posted..Living to Blog?My Profile

4 Sarah June 24, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Oh man – happens to the best of us Alaina! Especially on a day like yesterday. I’m surprised I didn’t bomb. Thanks for the congrats :)

5 Reba - Not So Perfect Life June 24, 2013 at 11:13 am

I’ve heard great things about the Marine Corps Marathon. I have lots of friends who have ran it! My favorite race distance is the half marathon hands down. I’m horrible at short distances. Awesome PR and cute outfit :)
Reba – Not So Perfect Life recently posted..Summer Weekend In the CityMy Profile

6 Sarah June 24, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Thanks Reba! I like halfs too. They’re not too time consuming when it comes to training, but its still a challenging distance.

7 Anne June 24, 2013 at 11:32 am

Happy first day of MCM training! I actually found a pair of Rogas for $11 dollars not too long ago! They are my first pair and they are great. I am definitely planning on getting another pair. Congrats on your PR!
Anne recently posted..18 Weeks Out!My Profile

8 Sarah June 24, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Thanks Anne! <3 Roga’s!

9 Cori @ olivetorun June 24, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Awesome recap! When I was in Boston in May we ran every day and it was fantastic! I’m sure the race was phenomenal. Congrats on the PR! :)
Cori @ olivetorun recently posted..Booty Rubbin’ by a Costa Rican- Our HoneymoonMy Profile

10 Sarah June 24, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Thanks Cori!

11 Caroline June 24, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Congrats on the race and day 1 of training! I always loved how hal higdon’s plans start with a race day. It’s almost like he knows runners.. and knows we need a rest before we even start training! ha!
Caroline recently posted..Backyard Photo ShootMy Profile

12 Sarah June 24, 2013 at 4:15 pm

haha seriously. I’m enjoying day 1 so far ;)

13 lauren alysse June 24, 2013 at 3:10 pm

congrats on the PR!

I’ll have to check out those city sports tanks – they look awesome and comfortable. and only 18?? how can i say no?!

and im in love with the prayer ribbons. such a powerful display.
lauren alysse recently posted..Marathon Training Week #4My Profile

14 Sarah June 24, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Thanks! You definitely have to check out the tanks. They’re my absolute favorite. Really flattering and comfortable!

15 Sara June 24, 2013 at 3:55 pm

YAY happy day one of marathon training! I guess I won’t be seeing you at the gym tonight ;) but if you can fit it in you should come to kickboxing with me one week!!!
Sara recently posted..Tales of a Travel Addict: MunichMy Profile

16 Sarah June 24, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Oh man, as long as you don’t judge my lack of coordination. I can put one foot in front of the other when running, but that’s about it haha.

17 Katie C. June 24, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Great race recap! I ran yesterday too, the heat definitely started to cause trouble about halfway through, I was planning on only around 2 water stops the whole race (one at mile 2 and one at 4) but was so thankful for the stops at every mile– I think I took water at all but the mile 5 marker!
Happy First day of marathon training!!
Katie C. recently posted..The Marathon Post I Didn’t Plan to WriteMy Profile

18 Sarah June 26, 2013 at 1:01 pm

The water stops seriously saved the day. It was such a HOT HOT race!

19 Amanda @runtothefinish June 25, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I’m training for NYC with a few folks doing marine corp so we are all roughly on the same schedule. I can’t wait to see how everyone does and what the weather is like between the two races this year!!

This sounds like a great run and I can imagine it was still a little emotional. Looks like you are fully ready for training!
Amanda @runtothefinish recently posted..Anti-inflammatory eating: why, what and howMy Profile

20 Sarah June 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Thanks Amanda! Yes – very excited for training! Good luck with NYCM training!

21 Pavement Runner June 25, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I cant imagine the emotions of the runners, spectators and volunteers out there. Must have been such an overwhelming experience…. congrats on the finish and nice pace. The colors were perfect and you look happy to be a part of it. Keep running strong.
Pavement Runner recently posted..A Single Post Results in ChangeMy Profile

22 Sarah June 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm

It was definitely a bittersweet race. Thanks!

23 Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily June 25, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Awesome, what a fantastic experience!
Congrats on the PR :)
Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily recently posted..Quick UpdateMy Profile

24 Jessica @ Keeping Mommy Sane June 29, 2013 at 8:17 am

Great recap (abd excellent time)! I was thinking about signing up for this one but ended up doing a local 5K that day. And you’re right, it was HOT. But I am thinking of signing up fof this one next year.

25 Sarah June 29, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Thank you! You definitely should run it next year. It’s a fantastic race!

{ 1 trackback }